As a result of the covid-19 global pandemic, the president introduced a social relief of distress grant of R350. The grant was made to help unemployed South Africans who have faced undue hardships due to the pandemic get through the nationwide lockdown that was enforced at the time.
The social relief of distress grant was only meant to be issued to its recipients for a period of 6 months. However, it was recently extended due to the fact that many South Africans have since become dependent on the grant.
The South African social security agency [SASSA] has recently outlined how individuals can apply for the SRD grant, as well as how they can keep track of their grant payment statuses once they have applied.
Also Read: How To Apply For SASSA Social Relief of Distress Grant?
How to track your SASSA application (Sassa status)
Once you have submitted your application for social relief grant, you can track your application status by doing the following:
- Track your application status on the official SASSA website https://srd.sassa.gov.za/sc19/status
– You will be able to check the progress of your social relief grant by entering your ID number and cell phone number. You will then receive an update on the application, either via SMS or on the next page on the website.
- Check application status by sending ‘status’ to 082 04 8553 on Whatsapp, and your application status will be sent to you.
The application process of this grant has been different from that of the other social grants, due to lockdown regulations, instead of physically having to go to SASSA head offices to fill in an application form. The application process has been made to be completely accessible online.
To apply, you need to fill in an application form through one of the following electronic channels:
- Whatsapp 082 046 8553
- Dial USSD number *134*7737# on your mobile phone
- Email: email@example.com
- Call the call centre 0800 60 10 11
- OR visit https://srd.sassa.gov.za
Include your name, ID number, physical address and contact details in your application. *Note that: you will not be required to attach any documentation during the application process.
Who is eligible for the SRD grant?
– Applicants who are currently unemployed
– Applicants who are permanent South African citizens or foreign nationals who are registered with home affairs
– Applicants who are not receiving any other social grants or unemployment insurance benefits.
– Applicants who are over the age of 18
– Applicants who are currently awaiting payment of an approved social grant
– Applicants who do not receive any stipends from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme[NSFAS]
– Applicants who have been found medically unfit to undertake remunerative work for a period of less than six months
If your application has been ‘referred’ or declined, SASSA has made it possible for those who have previously been declined to try again. You can appeal by:
- Visiting the official SASSA website https://srd.sassa.gov.za clicking on “ Application for reconsideration.”
Also Read: How to Apply for SASSA Grants