The Government Employees Medical (GEMS Medical Aid) Scheme is a South African government initiative that focuses on the health of public servants. The goal is to provide affordable and accessible healthcare to those in public service irrespective of their rank.
The Department of Public Service and Administration oversees GEMS. They ensure that employees have comprehensive healthcare relative to their needs. There is no discrimination based on race, gender, religious beliefs, tribe, and other differentiating factors. Employees who choose more extensive cover have access to higher benefits within GEMS. GEM provides efficient, cost-effective, and customized services for employees in public service.
As we go further, we will discuss further details of GEMS like how to log in and available options.
Who can join the GEMS Medical Aid scheme?
- You work for or are a pensioner of an employer group in the list of employers in Annexure A of the Scheme rules that the scheme approves.
- You are an employee or pensioner of Organizational Components that are outlined in Schedule 3 of the Public Service Act.
- An employee or pensioner of Provincial Administration that is outlined in Schedule 2 of the Public Service Act.
- An employee or pensioner of the Provincial Department that is outlined in Schedule 2 of the Public Service Act.
- If you are an employee or pensioner of the National Department that is outlined in Schedule 1 of the Public Service Act.
How to join GEMS
- First, get the GEMS application form. You can either get an application form online or offline. Get it from your Human Resources department, from their physical office, or contact the Call Center at 0860004367. You can also visit the website at http://www.gems.gov.za/ to download an application form.
- Next, fill every section with all the required information. Make sure that all the information you provide is authentic and verifiable.
- Attach legal copies of all requested documents to your application.
- Next, submit your application form and the documents by any method below.
Fax: 0861 00 4367
Post: Private Bag X782, Cape Town, 8000
- GEMS Medical scheme aid options
All the GEMS scheme aid options offer comprehensive benefits in and out of the hospital depending on the package you choose.
- Tanzanite One
The offer starts from R882 and offers access to over-the-counter medication and unlimited doctor consultations. You can have a 100% subsidy from an employer if you are within level 1-5 salary level.
The offer starts from R1231 and gives you access to public and private hospitals within the GEMS service.
It starts from R1915. Offers access to a broad network of healthcare givers. It also includes PMSA that has 20% of your block benefits, contribution, and hospital plan.
- Emerald Value
It starts from R1859 and lets you nominate a General Practitioner to see to your health needs. Your GP can refer you to specialists.
Access it from R2172 which offers daily block benefits and a doctor of your choice.
Starting from R3733. Highest health and daily block benefits.
- Visit https://member.gems.gov.za/Login to access the GEMS member login.
- Fill in your username and password to access your account.